Hello, thanks for coming on over,

The Autodesk Northern Europe Manufacturing Blog has now moved to a new home. Please come over and join us at.....


This blog will not be updated.

Monday, 23 November 2009

Autodesk University: 7 days to go

Just one week now until Autodesk University 2009 opens its doors to the thousands of designers, engineers and architects to spend three long days attending classes and networking with peers to discuss the intricacies of their chosen Autodesk technology.

As regular readers of this blog will know, this is my first visit to Autodesk University (second time to Las Vegas though, but that’s a different story!) and I’m really looking forward to experiencing what my colleagues have been telling me about for the past few months. I’ve registered for all my classes making sure that I take in ones that are little outside my usual comfort zone so that when I get back I can put into practice what the classes teach rather than getting back and saying I didn’t learn anything new!

There are two classes in particular that I’m looking forward to (I’m looking forward to all of them, but these two especially):

PD118-1: Introduction to Plant 3D Process Piping, Structural and Equipment
MA222-4: Content in King: Working with Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Revit

I’m particular interested in seeing how products like AutoCAD Plant 3D and Autodesk Revit integrate with Autodesk Inventor and the workflows that design engineers using Inventor will use within the a process plant and architectural industry. The lines between industries are becoming more and more blurred especially for those manufacturers working in the architectural industry supplying hardware like staircases, furniture etc.

Many architects are seeing the benefits that Building Information Modelling (BIM) can offer and are making the move to tools like Autodesk Revit from 2D tools like AutoCAD. What does the supplier do who is a manufacturer to the architectural industry and has been supplying 2D drawings which has satisfied the architect until said architect made the move to 3D with their new Autodesk Revit software? They still need to be compatible with the architect as they want to continue doing business with them, but 2D won’t suffice anymore and Autodesk Revit is for architects, not manufacturers!

The integration between the manufacturing and architectural software from Autodesk allows those who collaborate across industries and technologies to do so in a way that saves them time, money and effort and I’m looking forward to learning more about that next week whilst at AU.

I’ll be flying out on Saturday with colleagues from Northern Europe and during the trip I’ll be blogging and posting pictures (and possibly some video) so make sure you visit back regularly.

Now, where did I put my passport........