Hello, thanks for coming on over,

The Autodesk Northern Europe Manufacturing Blog has now moved to a new home. Please come over and join us at.....


This blog will not be updated.

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Data Management on the Apple iPad?

I picked up an iPad this week and have to say I have joined the many fans of the new Apple gadget - it's a very nice product!!

As you would probably expect the first thing I did was download the Autodesk iPad apps - AutoCAD WS, Inventor Publisher Mobile, SketchBook Pro and Fluid FX. All of which are very cool - AutoCAD WS with the add-in from the Subscription Advantage Pack in AutoCAD Mechanical and Electrical is phenomenal! Just click one button in AutoCAD Mechanical and your drawing is available to use within AutoCAD WS on the iPad. I'll be blogging more about that in the near future.

There was one thing that went through my head though as my wife was sat watching the latest episode of a northern based soap-opera and I was downloading apps faster than the plot line of said soap-opera changed - I wonder if we could use the iPad for data management?

The answer - yes we can!

I fired up the Safari browser and pointed to my Autodesk Vault Professional server and low and behold I was greated with the log in page for the Vault Web Client. I could log in to my vault, browse around files and items, view bills of material, view relationships between parts, drawings and assemblies. Pretty much everything you would expect to do with the Autodesk Vault Web Client.

I took a couple of photos of the iPad running the web client which you can see here.


The great thing about this is that there is not really anything to configure or set-up - it just works! If you have got an iPad and want to try this for yourself, just point your iPad Safari browser at the URL of the Autodesk Vault Web Client (available with Vault Collaboration and Vault Professional) and away you go. The URL should be something along the lines of:

http://**your server**/Autodesk DM/WebClient

Replace
**your server** with the name of your Autodesk Data Management Server (ADMS)